The Fitness Specialist certificate program is designed to prepare students with the knowledge, skills, and understanding to enhance employment prospects in the health and fitness industry, business, sports and leisure industry and coaching field. Areas of study include first aid and CPR, nutrition, wellness, weight training and conditioning, prevention and care of injuries, biology, and fitness testing and exercise prescription.
By completing this program, students will achieve the following learning goals:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the major components of physical fitness.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the psychological principles which are critical to health/wellness behavior change.
- Describe and demonstrate assessment techniques and methods for cardiovascular and muscular strength and endurance.
- Demonstrate ability to design exercise training programs.
HPER 1103 First Aid and CPR 3 HPER 1112 Nutrition 3 HPER 1120 Wellness for Life 4 HPER 1152+ Aerobic Fitness 2 HPER 1160 Weight Training and Conditioning 0 HPER 1200 Anatomy of Movement 2 HPER 2205 Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries 2 HPER 2206 Exercise Physiology 3 HPER 2207* Fitness Testing and Exercise Prescription 3 HPER 2208^ Concepts in Personal Training 2 HPER 2230 Introduction to Sports Management 3 HPER 2296^++ Field Experience and Seminar in Fitness Specialist 2
NOTE: It is recommended that a minimum of 12 program-required credits be completed or concurrently enrolled in prior to taking HPER 2296.
- A minimum of 12 semester credits in courses numbered 1000 or above must be completed at ARCC.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in courses numbered 1000 or above at ARCC.
- A minimum grade of C must be earned in all program requirements.
- All program requirements must be completed at ARCC.
- Courses must be completed within three years. Students may petition to extend the window beyond the three years.
- All courses requirements must be complete before a certificate will be awarded.
- Students must complete a Certificate Application. Certificate Applications are available online at AnokaRamsey.edu/resources/forms/ under Records and Registration. Alternative formats of the form are available at the Records and Registration Office per request.
- The requirements of this program are subject to change without notice.
NOTE: You are encouraged to contact an academic advisor at 763-433-1230 for course planning assistance and information about transfer credit evaluation and transfer options.
The sequence that follows is suggested for full-time students. Part-time students will need more time to complete this program; many courses are offered in the evening.
HPER 1103 3 HPER 1112 3 HPER 1120/1152 4 HPER 2205 2 HPER 1160 2 HPER 2207 2 HPER 2206 4 HPER 2208 2 HPER 2230 3 HPER 2296 2 TOTAL 15 TOTAL 14
*Some occupations may require advanced education
- Personal Trainer
- Group Fitness Instructor
- Dance Instructor
- Corporate Fitness Instructor
- Recreation Specialist
- Strength-Conditioning Coach
- Community Recreation
- Health/Fitness Club Manager
Program Requirements 29 Total 29
For continuing education and customized training (non-credit) courses, visit ProWorkTraining.com.