Veterans Services

Secondary Navigation

Veterans Services

student in veterans center

Military Certification Request Form

Veterans, active duty servicemembers, reservists, and their families are an extremely important part of Anoka-Ramsey's mission. We invite you to take advantage of the personal service we offer on our campuses by scheduling a meeting with our Veteran Services staff.

To set an appointment with our Veteran Services Staff, please contact: (763) 433-1230

Veteran Services Staff

Veterans Academic Advisor: A fulltime, former military servicemember tasked with assisting veteran/military/benefit-receiving-family-members with any needs that may arise, including:

  • Pre-admission questions
  • Veteran Benefits (Federal and State Veteran Affairs)
  • Federal Tuition Assistance (Department of Defense)
  • Course Registration
  • Academic Advising
  • Transfer Advising
  • Call-to-Active Duty Assistance
  • any other questions you may encounter

Certifying Officials: Staff members in the Records and Registration office that submit veteran services affiliated students’ class information to the federal VA for certification.

  • Documents needed for school records
    • Copy of DD-214 or DD-215 (Discharge Documentation)
    • VA Certificate of Eligibility (Approved Benefit Documentation)
  • Each semester Federal Benefit receiving students must submit a Military Certification Request Form to have benefits certified by ARCC

Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs Regional Education Coordinators: Employees of the Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs (MDVA) assigned to college campuses across Minnesota to assist students with initiating veterans benefits the students may be authorized to receive.

MDVA staff visits both the Coon Rapids and Cambridge Campuses.

Coon Rapids Campus: Thursdays

Cambridge Campus: Every other Monday

Please contact Charles Egerstrom at 651-336-2371 for more details.

38 U.S.C. 3679 (e) — Veterans with valid Certificates of Eligibility will be allowed to attend and not be given penalties in the case of VA not being able to make timely payment to the school.

Attention Federal Tuition Assistance Recipients

FTA requests can be submitted to the appropriate branch of service up to 60 days before the beginning of each semester. FTA requests must be approved by the servicemember’s branch before the first day of class to receive funding.

Students with non-approved FTA requests must drop classes before the drop date to avoid charges. If a non-approved student remains enrolled in classes beyond the drop date (5th day of fall/spring semesters, see student schedule in eServices for summer Semester dates) the student will be responsible for accrued tuition and fees.

For assistance please contact veterans academic advisor or MN DVA regional education coordinator.

  • Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 Press 1

    Anoka Vets Center: (763) 503-2220

    Anoka-Ramsey Community College Counseling Services: (763) 433-1100

  • The Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding signed by Anoka-Ramsey Community College requires that the college disclose the institution’s student loan Cohort Default Rate (CDR), if that rate is greater than the national average.

    Anoka-Ramsey’s CDR is lower than the national average.

    For additional information regarding Anoka-Ramsey’s student loan Cohort Default Rate (CDR), the percentage of our students who borrow, and how our CDR compares to the national average please contact the campus Veteran Services Office.

  • Consistent with Minnesota State Procedure 5.12.1, a student who is a member of any branch of the U.S. military reserves, who is unable to complete a course or courses due to active duty call-up shall be offered the following course cancellation and/or completion options. In all cases, the student is required to provide the college with a copy of his/her call-up papers.

    A student may receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees if called to active duty. A student receiving financial aid who chooses this option is required to repay 100% of grants and loans (not work study) that has been disbursed for the term.

    An instructor may agree to assign the student an incomplete (an Agreement of Incomplete Form needs to be completed) even though less than 75% of the coursework has been completed. If, in the instructor's judgment, a student has completed sufficient coursework to earn a grade of C or better, the instructor may assign credit (a grade) for completion of a course.

    A student who does not find one of the first three options suitable, may withdraw from the course. A withdraw request will be honored even if the withdrawal deadline has passed. Additionally, it's a good idea for financial aid recipients to check in with the Financial Aid Office 763-433-1500.

  • Consistent with Minnesota State Procedure 5.12.1, students who choose to withdraw (due to course interruption by active duty, medical conditions or medical treatment) must be readmitted and reenrolled as students at the college and university, without penalty or redetermination of admission eligibility, within two years following release from the state or federal active military service or following completion of medical treatment or sufficient recovery from the student’s medical condition.

  • Detailed breakdown of semester tuition and fees

    Residential Costs: N/A – Anoka-Ramsey Community College in a non-residential college.

    Books: There is no fixed rate for semester book costs. Many courses require textbooks, but other may not. The price of these textbooks vary by course but expect to pay between $50 and $750 per semester.

    Please note: students who receive benefits under Chapter 31: Veteran Readiness and Employment, will have the cost of their books covered as part of their VA benefit.

    Additionally: students who receive CH 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill VA benefits receive funding from the VA according to their rate of enrollment and VA benefit level to assist students with paying for books. These funds arrive via direct deposit from the VA, and can be used to pay any balance owed to the college for the purchasing of assigned textbooks.

Supplementary Information

  • Contacts

    Tadd Heichel
    Veterans Academic Advisor

    Victoria Gartner
    Veterans Certifying Official
    Coon Rapids Campus

    Kristen Wiesen
    Veterans Certifying Official
    Cambridge Campus

    Charles Egerstrom
    MDVA North Metro Coordinator

  • Locations

    Veterans Center
    Cambridge Campus
    Rm E203B

    Coon Rapids Campus
    Rm SC118

    Records & Registration Office 
    Cambridge Campus
    Rm D223 

    Coon Rapids Campus
    Rm SC250

Meet Our Students and Alumni