International Student

Secondary Navigation

International Student


We’re glad you plan to attend Anoka-Ramsey. As an international student, you’ll find we offer many services to help you succeed.

An international student is a non-U.S. citizen or non-U.S. immigrant, who has been granted F-1 visa status from the U.S. Department of State (DOS) through a U.S. Consulate based upon the I-20 document (certificate of eligibility for an F-1 visa) issued by Anoka-Ramsey Community College to pursue full-time study at the College.

Permanent residents, refugees and political asylees are not international students and should follow the new, transfer, or returning student steps.

This application contains instruction to apply for admission into Anoka-Ramsey Community College; it does not represent the entirety of U.S. immigration law. For additional information pertaining to international applications, please visit: SEVIS-Student Exchange and Visitor Information System

You can request admission to the college online (below), and can apply as an international student if you meet one of these conditions:

  • You are not a citizen of the United States and live outside the United States
  • You live in the United States on a non-immigrant F-1 student visa

Application deadlines for international students

New International students from outside the U.S. Transfer International students from within the U.S.
Fall Semester: June 1 Fall Semester: July 1
Spring Semester: Oct. 1 Spring Semester: Nov. 1
  • To have a complete application, student must Apply online for admission to the college and submit additional documents.

    Academic Record Requirements

    F-1 students are required to have completed secondary education. You will need to provide official academic records and exam results from your secondary school.

    Documents in a language other than English must be accompanied by English translations from a certified English translation service. Copies of originals are not accepted.

    Academic records must demonstrate equivalent grades of “C” or better in a minimum of five academic subjects within a college preparatory tract. Vocational preparatory courses, English, and theological courses may not be used for this requirement.

    Students who wish to transfer credit from a university outside of the U.S. must have their transcripts evaluated by an approved academic credentialing agency. The companies listed below provide acceptable evaluations for a fee. (Order a “Course by Course” evaluation.)

    Educational Credential Evaluators
    PO Box 514070
    Milwaukee, WI 53203
    Phone: 414-289-3400
    Fax: 414-289-3411

    World Educational Services
    PO Box 745, Old Chelsea Station
    New York, NY 10113
    Phone: 1-800-937-3895
    Fax: 212-739-6100

    Demonstrate English Language Proficiency

    Anoka-Ramsey Community College accepts the following options as proof of your English language proficiency.

      • Test of English Foreign Language (TOEFL) Anoka-Ramsey's TOEFL code is 6024.
      • Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments
      • Educational Services, Inc. (ELS)
      • Minnesota English Language Program (MELP) at the University of Minnesota
        Successful completion of the MELP program within the last 3 years. Completed coursework must be documented by MELP and sent directly to Anoka-Ramsey Community College. Applicants who have successfully completed the MELP program do not have to go through the course placement process and will receive placement into ENGL 1121 College Composition and READ 1300 Critical Reading of Academic Texts. Applicants are still required to complete the placement process for Math.



    Minimum Score

    Paper-Based TOEFL


    Internet-Based TOEFL






    NOTE: Students whose home country's official language is English are exempt for the English proficiency requirement. Official English-speaking countries include: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, England, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland (Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland), Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Malta, Mauritius, Montserrat, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Scotland, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States, Vanuatu, Wales, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

    Demonstrate Financial Support

    Before you can be admitted to Anoka-Ramsey as an international student, you must demonstrate that you have adequate financial means to cover education and living expenses while studying at Anoka-Ramsey.

    • You must submit a notarized, current, original bank statement showing a balance of at least $22,700 in U.S. currency to demonstrate adequate financial support to cover all educational and living expenses while you study at Anoka-Ramsey Community College.
    • Copies of originals are not accepted. The required $22,700 is necessary to fund one academic year of tuition and fees, books, housing, food, transportation, medical insurance, and other expenses.
    • If you have a sponsor in the U.S., your sponsor must submit an Affidavit of Support (I-134) and a notarized, current, original bank statement showing a balance of at least $22,700 in U.S. currency. The bank statement must be in English, certified by a bank official, and not less than two (2) months old at the time of application.
    • Retain a second set of financial documents to submit to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services to obtain your F-1 visa.


    Tuition and Fees (24 credits @ $190.00 per credit)*


    Medical Insurance

    Mandatory policy through Anoka-Ramsey/MnSCU


    Books and Supplies


    Living and Maintenance: rent, transportation, personal

    Local estimate must show even if staying with relative or friend.



    Add to total: $3,500 for a spouse and $2,160 for each dependent child


    *Please note that tuition may be higher than the above quote for specific programs and/or online courses.

    Importance of Name Consistency

    To avoid problems or delays in obtaining your Visa and entering the U.S., ensure that all of your immigration documents reflect the same name, exactly as it appears in your passport. Do not use “nicknames” or shortened names on any of your documents, including your passport, I-20, entry visa stamp, I-94 card (completed in the airplane before your arrival) and any additional documents that you acquire after your arrival in the U.S.

    Submit additional required documentation as required.
    Mail documents to:
    Anoka-Ramsey Community College
    Att: International Admissions
    11200 Mississippi Blvd NW
    Coon Rapids, MN 55433-3499

  • It is very important to enter the United States (U.S) with the proper Visa. You must apply for an entry Visa stamp in your passport so that you can enter the U.S. in student status. F and J Entry Visas can only be obtained outside of the U.S. at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

    To apply for an entry Visa, follow these five steps:

    1. Pay SEVIS fee

    Most new students must pay the SEVIS fee before applying for an entry Visa or entering the U.S. This fee is assessed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and is not administered by Anoka-Ramsey. For details, visit:

    2. Locate Nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate

    Must be completed in your home country
    Embassy/consulate information is available at:

    3. Schedule Appointment for Visa Interview

    Your local embassy or consulate has specific instructions for scheduling an appointment. Appointment wait times can be several weeks or longer, especially during summer months. Schedule your appointment as soon as possible after receiving your I-20. Approximate Visa wait times at consular locations can be found at:

    4. Prepare Documents for Visa Interview

    All Visa applicants must provide the following documents to the U.S. embassy or consulate at the time of the interview:

    • Valid passport
    • I-20 document
    • Documented proof of financial support for at least one year
    • Proof of SEVIS Fee payment (receipt)
    • Visa application forms (available from U.S. embassy/consulate)
    • Any other documents requested by your embassy/consulate

    5. Practice for Visa Interview

    When applying for a non-immigrant Visa, the U.S. Consular Officer interviewing you will assume that you plan to immigrate to the U.S. permanently unless you prove otherwise. During the interview you will need to prove that you will only study temporarily in the U.S. and plan to return home after your studies are completed. Answer all questions truthfully but only provided information related to the question asked.

    Be prepared to answer confidently and clearly in English:

    • Your area of study
    • Your reason for wanting to study in the U.S.
    • Proof of sufficient funds and how your funds are able to cover all of your expenses for a minimum of one year.
    • Your good reasons for returning home after you complete your studies. You must provide evidence where possible of the strong ties you have to your country. It could include having all of your family in your country, having a job offer awaiting you when you return or proof of property ownership. Emphasize specific future educational, employment or career goals that will be carried out in your home country. We recommend practicing your Visa interview with family or friends.
  • You are considered a Transfer Student if you currently hold an F-1 status at another institution in the U.S. and now wish to be degree seeking at Anoka-Ramsey. Your SEVIS record must be transferred to Anoka-Ramsey.

    Instructions for Transferring Your F-1 Visa to Anoka-Ramsey

    You must complete all requirements to become an international student, and:

    Request a Transfer Release form from the International Admissions Office and:

    • Complete section #1 of the Transfer Release form. Include your mailing address outside of the U.S. if you plan to travel outside of the U.S. before beginning your program at Anoka-Ramsey.
    • Contact the international student advising office at your previous school and inform them of your intent to transfer.

    Your international student adviser must:

    • Complete section #2 of the Transfer Release form
    • Mail, fax or email a scanned copy of the Transfer Release form to International Admissions. Directions are located on the form.
    • Electronically send your Visa record to Anoka-Ramsey after you finish classes at that school. The designated school official (DSO) at the school you transfer from must transfer the Visa record.

    NOTE: The Anoka-Ramsey Admissions Office cannot process an I-20 before your Visa record has been transferred to Anoka-Ramsey.

  • Canadian citizens are eligible to enter the U.S. without obtaining an entry Visa in their passport. However, Canadian citizens must obtain an I-20 and pay the SEVIS fee before entering the U.S. Upon entry, You must present your passport, I-20, proof of financial support for at least one year and proof of SEVIS fee payment.

  • If your Visa is denied, ask the consular officials to provide you with a written explanation of the denial, then contact Anoka-Ramsey Admissions. Email, write “Visa Denial” in the subject line, and include your Student ID number and your name in the email.

  • Many Visa applicants are subject to additional security clearance checks that will delay the issuance of your visa by one to two months. This is NOT a denial. Most applicants who are subject to clearance will eventually receive the Visa. You cannot prevent a security clearance, nor can Anoka-Ramsey intervene to speed up the process.

Supplementary Information

Meet Our Students and Alumni