Spanish Transfer Pathway Degree
The Spanish Transfer Pathway AA offers students a powerful option: the opportunity to complete an Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts & Sciences degree with course credits that directly transfer to designated Spanish bachelor’s degree programs at Minnesota State universities. The curriculum has been specifically designed so that students completing this pathway degree and transferring to one of the five Minnesota State universities enter the university with junior-year status. All courses in the Transfer Pathway associate degree will directly transfer and apply to the designated bachelor’s degree programs in a related field.
Minnesota State Transfer Pathways offer students curriculum that is designed to fully transfer to a parallel program at one of five universities in the Minnesota State system:
- Bemidji State University: Spanish Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree
- Minnesota State University, Mankato: Spanish Bachelor of Science (BS) degree
- Minnesota State University, Moorhead: Spanish Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree
- St. Cloud State University: Spanish Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree, Spanish Bachelor of Science (BS) degree
- Winona State University: Spanish Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree
By completing this program, students will achieve the following learning goals:
- Grammar, Vocabulary, and Reading Comprehension: Demonstrate a knowledge of grammar and vocabulary reflective of that presented in a typical intermediate level Spanish textbook, and the ability to comprehend the main points of authentic reading materials;
- Verbal Communication: Discuss a variety of topics using multiple temporal frames of reference and levels of formality. Ask and reply to questions that require elaboration and substantiation of opinions. Make suggestions and recommendations; and
- Written Communication: Convey ideas and opinions in writing. Narrate past events and experiences. Articulate suggestions or directions on a variety of topics, employing multiple temporal frames of reference.
- A minimum of 60 semester credits in courses numbered 1000 or above.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in courses numbered 1000 or above at ARCC.
- Some students may need preparatory courses in the areas of English, mathematics or reading. Courses numbered below 1000 will not apply toward this degree.
- Satisfy residency requirements.
- A minimum grade of C must be earned in all program requirements.
- Completion of specific degree requirements.
- Each state university has specific program requirements for completion. Please speak with your advisor about requirements at receiving institutions.
- To complete your program, please submit the appropriate application found here.
- The requirements of this program are subject to change without notice.
SPAN 1101 Beginning Spanish Language and Culture I 5 SPAN 1102 Beginning Spanish Language and Culture II 5 SPAN 2201+ Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture I 4 SPAN 2202+ Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture II 4 Choose at least one course from the following: SPAN 1111/HUM 1111++ Spanish and Latin American Culture:
3 SPAN 1112/HUM 1112++ Spanish and Latin American Culture:
Conquest to present
Complete at least 36 credits in courses from the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC), including all courses listed. You must complete all ten goal areas and maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA for the entire MnTC. One course may satisfy more than one goal, but the course credits may only be counted once.
1. Communication ENGL 1120* OR ENGL 1121* 4 CMST 1110 OR CMST 2215 OR CMST 2220 3 2. Critical Thinking (at least three courses required) 3. Natural Science (two courses required; one from each of two departments; one must include a lab) 4. Mathematical/Logical Reasoning (at least one course required) 5. History/Social/Behavioral Sciences (at least two courses required; one from each of two of the following categories) A. Economics/Geography B. Anthropology/Psychology/Sociology C. History/Political Science 6. Humanities/Fine Art SPAN 1111/HUM 1111 OR SPAN 1112/HUM 1112 3 AND one course from one of the following categories: A. Literature C. Art/Music/Theatre 7. Human Diversity SPAN 1101 5 SPAN 1102 5 SPAN 2201 4 SPAN 2202 4 8. Global Perspective SPAN 1101 5 SPAN 1102 5 SPAN 2201 4 SPAN 2202 4 9. Ethical/Civic Responsibility (at least one course required) 10. People and the Environment (at least one course required)
Choose any HPER course(s) totaling at least three credits
The following two-year Pathway Plan is suggested for full-time students. Part-time students will need more time to complete this pathway. For assistance with pathway planning, students should schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. See also the college catalog Appendix for course offering information.
Semester One Semester Two SPAN 1101 5 SPAN 1102 5 General Ed/MnTC 10 SPAN 1111/HUM 1111* OR 3 SPAN 1112/HUM 1112* 3 General Ed/MnTC 7 TOTAL 15 TOTAL 15
*It is recommended that students take SPAN 1111 and SPAN 1112 during their first year of study. While this plan presumes a Spring offering, availability of the two courses may vary.
Semester Three Semester Four SPAN 2201 4 SPAN 2202 4 Gen. Ed./MnTC 11 Gen. Ed./MnTC 11 TOTAL 15 TOTAL 15