The Biology Department at Anoka-Ramsey Community College offers a variety of courses, ranging from Principles of Biology to Genetics and General Ecology for the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) and general education, and in preparation for allied health fields and transfer to Biology major programs, such as pre-med and pre-vet, at four-year institutions.
Who We Are
The Biology Department's well-qualified faculty has diverse experience in the biological sciences. Students interested in the natural sciences can work in the department's greenhouse, study the large collection of preserved plant specimens at the Russell W. Johnson Herbarium, and explore over 10 acres of on campus prairie and the nearby Spirit River Nature Area.
Admissions | 763-433-1300
Dean Rebecca Krystyniak | 763-433-1216
Meet Joan McKearnan
Meet Brooklynn Underhill
Degrees We Offer
The department offers two degrees:
- Two state-of-the-art smart laboratory classrooms with seating for 24 students each, student computers, large projection screens, document cameras, numerous models and demos for all classes, microscopes, probeware, high-tech lab equipment and much more.
- A greenhouse for student projects.
- Over 10 acres of an on-campus prairie and adjacent Spirit River Nature Area. http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/prairie/
The Russell W. Johnson Herbarium that contains a large collection of preserved plant specimens that provide students and the public tools to enhance in their understanding of plants and natural history.
- Two state-of-the-art smart lecture classrooms with large projection screens, document cameras, and ample seating.
- Four state-of-the-art smart laboratory classrooms with seating for 24 students each, student computers, large projection screens, document cameras, numerous models and demos for all classes, microscopes, genetic and microbiology high-tech lab equipment, and much more.
- a greenhouse filled with various native and tropical species with a native prairie plot garden located just outside.
a 26-acre Natural Area with a large closed-canopy forest , five acre restored prairie area and multiple tree and animal species including a fox den.
The Biology Department offers several undergraduate research opportunities.
Meet Our Students and Alumni
Meet Anna PescolaAnna PescolaNatural SciencesAS Environmental Science
"The approachable faculty is the main contributor to my success as a student. I took mostly STEM core classes where the classes were small, but the content could get pretty heavy. Every professor I had made me feel comfortable visiting their office to get help."
Meet LaShaunda NewsomLaShaunda NewsomNatural SciencesAS Biological Science
"Anoka-Ramsey has so many resources and the instructors are very helpful. The majority of my instructors were great but the one that sticks out the most is Jennifer Braido. She’s awesome and helpful."
Meet Jeanne WigantJeanne WigantNatural SciencesAS Biology
"The value of education received at Anoka-Ramsey is incomparable. As an adult learner with a family and financial obligations, I absolutely would not have been able to accomplish my ultimate goal of becoming a physician had it not been for my experience at Anoka-Ramsey."