Business: Management/Marketing Emphasis
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Business: Management/Marketing emphasis degree program is designed for students interested in preparing for entry-level positions in management/marketing. The AAS degree combines general education and business concepts and procedures to fully prepare the graduate for employment. Students can complete the coursework on a full- or part-time basis; however, it is recommended that the degree be completed within four years. This degree offers an on-the-job internship to help bridge the gap from academics to the workplace. Students may petition to substitute an alternative business course for the internship and seminar if they have recent relevant work experience. For assistance in program planning, or to explore additional transfer options, students should schedule a time to meet with an academic advisor. This degree may transfer in part or in its entirety to baccalaureate institutions. Students should meet with a representative of the transfer institution when planning their program.
Some students may need preparatory courses in the areas of English, mathematics, reading or typing/keyboarding. Courses numbered below 1000 will not apply toward this degree.
By completing this program, students will achieve the following learning goals:
- Function effectively in a diverse, global business community.
- Use critical thinking skills to analyze and solve business problems.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and professional attitudes.
- Demonstrate effective business communication skills.
- A minimum of 60 semester credits in courses numbered 1000 or above.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in courses numbered 1000 or above at ARCC.
- Satisfy residency requirements.
- Completion of specific degree requirements.
- To receive your diploma, you must apply to graduate.
- The requirements of this program are subject to change without
NOTE: The requirements of this program are subject to change without notice. You are encouraged to contact an academic adviser at 763-433-1230 for course planning assistance and information about transfer credit evaluation
BUS 1101 Introduction to Business 3 BUS 1103 Human Relations in the Workplace 3 BUS 1104 Written Business Communications 3 BUS 1108 Business Math 3 BUS 1112 Computer Concepts and Applications 3 BUS 2125 Financial Accounting 4 Select one of the following courses: BUS 1221 Supervision 3 BUS 2265 Administrative Office Management 3
BUS 1122 Business Ethics & Social Issues 3 BUS 2142 Principles of Marketing 4 BUS 2215 Legal Environment of Business 3 BUS 2244 Principles of Management 4 Select two of the following courses:
6 BUS 1149 Professional Selling 3 BUS 2141 Personal Finance 3 BUS 2227* Management/Marketing Internship and Seminar 3 BUS 2240 Introduction to International Business 3 BUS 2242 Principles of Retailing 3 Elective(s) Select any BUS course(s) to fulfill the 23-credit requirement. 3
1. Communication ENGL 1120* or 1121* 4 CMST 1110 OR CMST 2215 OR CMST 2220 3 5. History/Social/Behavioral Sciences 3 Select one ECON class from the following three: ECON 1100 ECON 2205 ECON 2206 Select the remaining 5 credits from courses in at least one of the remaining Goal Areas of the MnTC. 5
The sequence that follows is suggested for full-time students. Part-time students will need more time to complete this program; many courses are offered in the evening.
Fall Semester Spring Semester BUS 1101 3 BUS 1104 3 BUS 1103 3 BUS 1108 3 BUS 1112 3 BUS 1221 OR BUS 2265 3 BUS 1122 3 BUS 2215 3 ENGL 1120/1121 4 BUS Electives 3 TOTAL 16 TOTAL 15
Fall Semester Spring Semester BUS 2125 4 BUS 2244 4 BUS 2142 4 BUS Emphasis Area (2 of 6 courses) 6 CMST 1110, 2215 or 2220 3 GenEd/MnTC remaining goal areas 5 ECON 1100, 2205 or 2206 3 TOTAL 14 TOTAL 15
Business certificates commonly earned as you pursue this degree.
Employment information is also available at Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development.
- Account Representative
- Advertising Associate
- Customer Service
- Marketing Associate
- Marketing Communications Assistant
- Marketing Design
- Office Administration
- Retail Manager
- Sales Associate
- Sales Manager
- Store Manager
*Some occupations may require advanced education
Program Requirements 22 Emphasis Requirements 23 General Education/MnTC 15 Total 60