Political Science Transfer Pathway Degree
The Political Science Transfer Pathway AA offers students a powerful option: the opportunity to complete an Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts & Sciences degree with course credits that directly transfer to designated Political Science bachelor’s degree programs at Minnesota State universities. The curriculum has been specifically designed so that students completing this pathway degree and transferring to one of the seven Minnesota State universities enter the university with junior-year status. All courses in the Transfer Pathway associate degree will directly transfer and apply to the designated bachelor’s degree programs in a related field.
Minnesota State Transfer Pathways offer students curriculum that is designed to fully transfer to a parallel program at one of seven universities in the Minnesota State system:
- Bemidji State University: Political Science Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree
- Metropolitan State University: Social Science Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree
- Minnesota State University, Mankato: Political Science Bachelor of Science (BS) degree
- Minnesota State University, Moorhead: Political Science Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree
- Southwest Minnesota State University: Political Science Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree
- St. Cloud State University: Political Science Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree
- Winona State University: Political Science (minor required) Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree
By completing this program, students will achieve the following learning goals:
- Knowledge Base: Students should be able to demonstrate fundamental knowledge and comprehension of the major concepts and institutions fundamental to the field of political science;
- Critical Thinking: Students should be able to demonstrate scientific reasoning and problem solving needed to investigate the field of political science;
- Ethical and Civic Responsibility: Students should be able to recognize the importance of civic virtue, and understand their ability to have an impact on their community, nation, and the world; and
- Global Awareness: Students should be able to explain how the international/global system works.
- A minimum of 60 semester credits in courses numbered 1000 or above.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in courses numbered 1000 or above at ARCC.
- Some students may need preparatory courses in the areas of English, mathematics or reading. Courses numbered below 1000 will not apply toward this degree.
- Satisfy residency requirements.
- A minimum grade of C must be earned in all program requirements.
- Completion of specific degree requirements.
- Each state university has specific program requirements for completion. Please speak with your advisor about requirements at receiving institutions.
- To complete your program, please submit the appropriate application found here.
- The requirements of this program are subject to change without notice.
POLS 1111 American Politics and Government 3 POLS 1121 State and Local Politics and Government 3 POLS 1131 World Politics 3
Complete at least 40 credits in courses from the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC), including all courses listed. You must complete all ten goal areas and maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA for the entire MnTC. One course may satisfy more than one goal area, but the course credits may be counted only once.
1. Communication ENGL 1120* OR ENGL 1121*
(A writing course in APA Style is recommended)
4 CMST 1110 OR CMST 2220 3 2. Critical Thinking 3. Natural Science 4. Mathematical/Logical Reasoning (MATH 1114* highly recommended) 5. History/Social/Behavioral Sciences 6. Humanities/Fine Art 7. Human Diversity 8. Global Perspective 9. Ethical/Civic Responsibility 10. People and the Environment
Choose any HPER course(s) totaling at least three credits
Classes are scheduled for full-time students to complete in two years; part-time students will need more time. For assistance with pathway planning, students should schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. See also the college catalog Appendix for course offering information.