The Rapids Review
The Creative Writing Club invites all currently enrolled Anoka-Ramsey Community College students from the Cambridge and Coon Rapids Campuses to submit creative work for publication consideration in the annual spring issue of our literary magazine, The Rapids Review.
The Rapids Review is the combined campus student literary magazine. It is dedicated to publishing a wide range of excellently crafted work by student writers and artists of any age, gender, ethnicity, and demographic. We are an inclusive magazine that celebrates differences, variety, and diversity. The Rapids Review is seeking submissions of fiction, poetry, stage writing, screenwriting, creative nonfiction, photography, and visual art.
Writers and artists may submit a total of five works/pieces (including artwork). (Poems in a series may be considered one piece if submitted as one file of 75-lines or less.)
Submission Guidelines for Written Works
- ALL written work must be double-spaced in Arial 12-point font.
- ALL written work must be sent as an attached Microsoft Word document.
- Fiction and creative nonfiction submissions should not exceed 2,500 words.
- We do not accept news articles.
- Poetry submissions should not exceed 75 lines. Poems should be single-spaced and left aligned (no centered poems). Exceptions will be made if there is an artistic reason for the poem’s formatting.
- Stage writing and screenwriting submissions should not exceed 10 double-spaced pages of script.
- If sources are used, they must be properly cited.
Submission Guidelines for Visual Works
- Visual artwork must be submitted as attached JPEG files.
- We don’t currently have a file size limit, but we may ask for smaller-sized files if needed.
- We welcome a variety of submissions (drawings, photos, paintings, etc.).
- Artists can also submit photos of three-dimensional work they created, such as sculptures or glass items.
- We seek eye-catching work, especially for our cover.
- "RR Submission" as the subject line
- The name of the writer/artist
- Title of each work/piece (Each work/piece should be a separate attached file.)
- Category of each work/piece (short story, play, painting, sculpture, etc.)
- Writer or artist names as document headings (no page numbers required)
- As a literary magazine, we favor literary and artistic work.
- We tend not to prefer overly political pieces.
- We lean toward pieces that move rather than shock.
- We do not prefer blood, gore, needless violence, etc.
- We tend to look for pieces that have something important to say or show about life.
- We do not accept anonymous or “pen name” submissions.
- All works/pieces submitted must be the work/piece of, and under the sole ownership of, the person or persons submitting such work/piece.
- AI-generated art and writing is NOT permitted and will not be published in The Rapids Review. If your content is suspected to have used AI-generation of ANY KIND, it will not be accepted for publication.
- The Editorial Board reserves the right to make final selection decisions. The Editorial Board also reserves the right to make formatting changes, such as line spacing and font, to create a cohesive magazine (if necessary).
- This year’s magazine will not have a pre-determined theme. If a theme arises naturally from the accepted works, we may decide to add one.
- By submitting your work, you give The Rapids Review permission to publish it in our magazine online and/or in a small print run (if applicable).