The Biomedical (BMED) Core certificate program is designed for students with strong transferrable work experience and/or previous academic coursework in the biomedical industry.It complements previous work to prepare students for transition into positions in the biomedical device and products industry. Graduates will work in manufacturing, product development and quality assurance. Classes include specific biomedical course work in good manufacturing practices (GMP), ISO 13485 and 9001. Most classes are offered in the evening and will be delivered as either face-to-face, hybrid or fully online. For additional information about our biomedical programs, visit our website at: http://www.anokaramsey.edu/BMED.
College-level competence in English, writing, mathematics, and computer competency should be acquired before entering the BMED programs. All BMED program requirements are offered at the Coon Rapids campus.
Some students may need preparatory courses in the areas of English, reading or mathematics. Courses numbered below 1000 will not apply toward this program.
To receive this certificate, submit a Certificate Application to the Records and Registration Office.
Applications are available in Academic Advising Services, or the Records and Registration Offices on either campus.
By completing this program, students will achieve the following learning goals:
- Demonstrate an understanding of trends, size, and scope of the medical device industry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the processes involved in the design, development and manufacture of medical devices.
- Demonstrate knowledge of various regulations and agencies involved in regulatory processes specific to the medical device industry.
- Demonstrate application of classroom knowledge to industry field experience.
- A minimum of 12 semester credits in courses numbered 1000 or above must be completed at ARCC.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in courses numbered 1000 or above at ARCC.
- A minimum grade of C must be earned in all program requirements.
- All program requirements must be completed at ARCC.
- All courses requirements must be complete before a certificate will be awarded.
- Students must complete a Certificate Application. Certificate Applications are available online, in the Office of Records & Registration, and in the Advising Center. Submit a completed form to the Office of Records & Registration.
- The requirements of this program are subject to change without notice.
NOTE: You are encouraged to contact an academic advisor at 763-433-1230 for course planning assistance and information about transfer credit evaluation and transfer options.
BIOL 1102 Medical Terminology 2 BMED 1100 Introduction to Biomedical
Devices and Industry
2 BMED 2100 Design and Manufacturing
in the Medical Device Industry
3 BMED 2200 Introduction to Medical Device Regulations and Ethics 3 BMED 2300 Introduction to Quality Assurance 3 BMED 2500 OR BMED 2520* Introduction to Documentation/Configuration Management OR Technical
Writing for Regulated Industries
The sequence that follows is suggested for full-time students. Part-time students will need more time to complete this program; many courses are offered in the evening.
Fall Semester Spring Semester BMED 1100 2 BIOL 1102 2 BMED 2100 3 BMED 2200 3 BMED 2300 3 BMED 2500 OR BMED 2520* 3 BMED 2500 OR BMED 2520 3
8-11 TOTAL 5-8
*Some occupations may require advanced education
- Applications Engineering Technician
- Biomedical Engineering Technician
- Biomedical Equipment Specialist
- Calibration Technician
- Clinical Research Coordinator
- Clinical Research Specialist
- Equipment Maintenance Technician
- Field Service Technician
- Manufacturing Technician
- Medical Device Lab Technician
- Medical Equipment Repairer
- Production Technician
- Quality Assurance Specialist
- Quality Inspector
- Quality Technician
Program Requirements 16 Total 16
For continuing education and customized training (non-credit) courses, visit ProWorkTraining.com.