Assessment and placement is required for all students. The Accuplacer assesses skill levels in reading, English composition and mathematics. Test results are used to determine the appropriate course placement to promote student success in college.
Placement tests are required for:
- New students registering for credit-based courses
- All PSEO students
- Returning students or transfer students who have not either taken the Accuplacer placement test at another institution or successfully completed a college-level math and/or college-level English course with a grade of "C" or higher
Students are not required to take the placement test(s) if they have:
- Recent ACT sub-scores of at least 22 in math, 18 in English, and 21 in reading. Students whose sub-scores are lower in one of these areas must take the placement test in that area. (ACT score report cannot be older than three years for English and two years for math.)
If you have taken the Accuplacer test at another college or have completed a college level math and/or English course at another college, please send an official copy of your scores/grades to the Records and Registration Office.
Accuplacer test scores are valid three years for reading and two years for math.
Prepare for your placement test
You are strongly encouraged to prepare for placement test by reviewing the following study materials:
- No appointment necessary! See the testing schedule for walk-in testing times.
- There is no fee to take the initial assessment test, however there is a $10 retest fee.
- Bring your Anoka-Ramsey student ID and a picture identification.
- This is an untimed test; allow 2-3 hours to take the test.
- Calculators are not allowed. Scratch paper is provided.
- No unnecessary materials allowed. Book bags, coats, etc. are to be stored with the Testing Center. Cell phones are to be turned off. No food or beverages allowed.
- Children are not allowed in the testing center and must not be left unattended.
- If you are not satisfied with your placement results, you may retest once per subject area.
- Students must wait at least two weeks before retesting.
- There is a $10 charge for each retest. This fee needs to be paid in the Business Office before 4:30 p.m. and a receipt must be given to the testing center staff prior to testing.
- Retest options apply only to initial course placements. Once you have begun any course in English composition or math, you may not use the retest option to attempt to change your placement. To appeal initial course placement contact an advisor.
Distance Proctoring/Testing for another institution
- Let the testing center staff know which MnSCU institution you will be attending.
- Bring your tech ID number from the institution you have applied and intend to register for classes at.
- Photo ID is required.
If you have a disability or a temporary disabling condition that will prevent you from taking the test under standard conditions, please contact the Access Services Coordinator at 763-433-1350.