Display this page in a printer-friendly format  Print

Application Process for International Students

An international student is a non-U.S. citizen or non-U.S. immigrant, who has been granted F-1 visa status from the U.S. Department of State (DOS) through a U.S. Consulate based upon the I-20 document (certificate of eligibility for an F-1 visa) issued by Anoka-Ramsey Community College to pursue full-time study at the College.

Permanent residents, refugees and political asylees are not international students and should follow the general admissions process.

This application contains instruction to apply for admission into Anoka-Ramsey Community College; it does not represent the entirety of U.S. immigration law. For additional information pertaining to international applications, please visit: SEVIS-Student Exchange and Visitor Information System

Steps to Becoming an International Student at Anoka-Ramsey


New International Student from outside the U.S.
     Fall Semester:  June 1st
     Spring Semester:  October 1st

Transfer international students from within the U.S.
Fall Semester:  July 1st 
     Spring Semester:  November 1st  

1. Complete application
  • Apply Online
  • To avoid eventual problems or delays in obtaining your Visa and entering the U.S., enure that your name reflects the way it appears in your passport. Do not use "nicknames" or shortened names.
2. Submit all additional documentation requirements to:

Anoka-Ramsey Community College
Attn: International Admissions
11200 Mississippi Blvd NW 
Coon Rapids, MN 55433-3499



  • F-1 students are required to have completed secondary education.You will need to provide official academic records and exam results from your secondary school.
  • Documents in a language other than English must be accompanied by English translations from certified English translation service. Copies of originals are not accepted.
  • Academic records must demonstrate equivalent grades of "C" or better in a minimum of five academic subjects within a college preparatory tract. Vocational preparatory courses, English, and theological courses may not be used for this requirement. 

English Proficiency 

Anoka-Ramsey Community College will accept one of the following options as proof of English language proficiency:

  • Test of English Foreign Language (TOEFL) www.toefl.org; Anoka-Ramsey's TOEFL code is 6024.
  • Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eli/testing/melab.
  • Educational Services, Inc. (ELS)  www.els.edu.

    Test  Minimum Score
     Paper-Based TOEFL       500
     Internet-Based TOEFL  61
     MELAB  75
     ELS  109


  • You must submit a notarized, current, original bank statement showing a balance of at least $18,705 in U.S. currency to demonstrate adequate financial support to cover all educational and living expenses while you study at Anoka-Ramsey Community College.
  • Copies of originals are not accepted. The required $18,705 is necessary to fund one academic year of tuition and fees, books, housing, food, transportation, medical insurance, and other expenses. 
  • If you have a sponsor in the U.S., your sponsor must submit an Affidavit of Support (I-134) and a notarized, current, original bank statement showing a balance of at least $18,705 in U.S. currency. The bank statement must be in English, certified by a bank official, and not less than two (2) months old at the time of application. 
  • Retain a second set of financial documents to submit to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services to obtain your F-1 visa.
2014-2015 Estimated Annual Expenses

Tuition and Fees (24 credits at $166.87 per credit)

Please note that tuition may be higher than the above quote for specific programs and/or online courses

Medical Insurance (Mandatory policy through MnSCU)


Books and Supplies

Subtotal-Due and payable charges to ARCC:

Living and Maintenance - Rent, transportation and personal expenses

(Add $3,500 for spouse; $2,160 for each dependent child)


Transferring Credits from a University Outside the U.S.

Students wishing to transfer credit from a university outside of the U.S. must have their transcript evaluated by an approved academic credentialing agency. The following companies provide acceptable evaluations for a fee (Order a "Course by Course" evaluation):

Educational Credential Evaluators                             World Educational Services
P.O. Box 514070                                                            P.O. Box 745, Old Chelsea Station
Milwaukee, WI 53203                                                     New York, NY 10113
Phone: 414-289-3400                                                     Phone: 1-800-937-3895
Fax: 414-289-3411                                                         Fax: 212-739-6100
www.ece.org                                                                  www.wes.org



It is very important to enter the United States (U.S) with the proper Visa. You must apply for an entry Visa stamp in your passport so that you can enter the U.S. in student status. F and J Entry Visas can only be obtained outside of the U.S. at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

To apply for an entry Visa, follow these steps:

Pay the SEVIS fee
Most new students must pay the SEVIS fee before applying for an entry Visa or entering the U.S. This fee is assessed by  the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and is not administered by Anoka-Ramsey. For details, visit: https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/

Locate the Nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate 

Schedule an Appointment for Visa Interview 
Your local embassy or consulate has specific instructions for scheduling an appointment Appointment wait times can be several weeks or longer, especially during summer months. Schedule your appointment as soon as possible after receiving your I-20. Approximate Visa wait times at consular locations can be found at: http://travel.state.gov/

Prepare Documents for Your Visa Interview 
    All Visa applicants must provide the following documents to the 
    U.S. embassy or consulate at the time of the interview:  

  • Valid passport
  • I-20 document 
  • Documented proof of financial support for at least one year 
  • Proof of SEVIS Fee payment (receipt) 
  • Visa application forms (available from U.S. embassy/consulate) 
  • Any other documents requested by your embassy/consulate 

Practice for Your Visa Interview 
When applying for a non-immigrant Visa, the U.S. Consular Officer interviewing you will assume that you plan to immigrate to the U.S. permanently unless you prove otherwise. During the interview you will need to prove that you will only study temporarily in the U.S. and plan to return home after your studies are completed. Answer all questions truthfully but only provided information related to the question asked.

Be prepared to answer confidently and clearly in English: 

  • Your area of study 
  • Your reason for wanting to study in the U.S.
  • Proof of sufficient funds and how your funds are able to cover all of your expenses for a minimum of one year.
  • Your good reasons for returning home after you complete your studies. You must provide evidence where possible of the strong ties you have to your country. It could include having all of your family in your country, having a job offer awaiting you when you return or proof of property ownership. Emphasize specific future educational, employment or career goals that will be carried out in your home country. We recommend practicing your Visa interview with family and friends. 


Canadian Citizens

  • Canadian citizens are eligible to enter the U.S. without obtaining an entry Visa in their passport. However, Canadian citizens must obtain an I-20 and pay the SEVIS fee before entering the U.S.
  • Upon U.S. entry the following must presented: passport, I-20, proof of financial support for at least one year and proof of SEVIS fee payment.

Importance of Name Consistency

To avoid problems or delays in obtaining your Visa and entering the U.S., ensure that all immigration documents reflect the same name, exactly as it appears in your passport. Do not use "nicknames" or shortened names on any of your documents, including your passport, I-20, entry visa stamp, I-94 card (completed in the airplane before your arrival) and any additional documents that you acquire after your arrival in the U.S.

Visa Denials

If your Visa is denied, ask the consular affairs officials to provide you with a written explanation of the denial, then contact Anoka-Ramsey Admissions through email. Address the email to Admissions@anokaramsey.edu and write "Visa Denial" in the subject line. Include your Anoka-Ramsey student ID number and your full name in the email message.



You are considered a transfer student if you currently hold an F-1 status at another institution in the U.S. and now wish to be degree seeking at Anoka-Ramsey. Your SEVIS record must be transferred to Anoka-Ramsey.

Instructions for Transferring Your F-1 Visa to Anoka-Ramsey 

You must complete all requirements to become an international student. 

Request a Transfer Release form from the International Admissions Office and:

  • Complete section #1 of the Transfer Release form. Include your mailing address outside of the U.S. if you plan to travel outside of the U.S. before beginning your program at Anoka-Ramsey.
  • Contact the international student advising office at your previous school and inform them of your intent to transfer.

Your international student adviser must:

  • Complete section#2 of the Transfer Release form
  • Mail, fax or email a scanned copy of the Transfer Release form to International Admissions (located at the top of the page)
  • Electronically send your Visa record to Anoka-Ramsey after you finish classes at that school. The designated school official (DSO) at the school you transfer from must transfer the Visa record.

    The Anoka-Ramsey Admissions Office cannot process an I-20 before your Visa record has been transferred to Anoka-Ramsey.