Veteran Student

Secondary Navigation

Veteran Student


We’re glad you plan to attend Anoka-Ramsey! As a veteran, college student, you’ll find we offer many services to help you succeed.

Here are the steps to become a student.

Important Notes

If you have ever been a student with Anoka-Ramsey, you do not need to re-apply. (see Returning Student page)

Admissions Checklist for Veterans

  1. 1. Apply

    Apply online for admission to the college. There is no cost to apply.

    Once you’ve submitted your application, watch for a letter informing you of your enrollment status.

    When you are admitted, your letter will include important information: your Student ID (STAR ID) and PIN information.

    Be sure to save your STAR ID and PIN.

    You’ll need your STAR ID and PIN for placement testing (see Step 3 below) and to access your student email account and other campus information.

    Apply for Financial Aid

    Be sure to visit Cost & Aid for information on applying for financial aid, and dates and deadlines!

  2. 2. Complete Placement Testing

    After you receive your acceptance letter to Anoka-Ramsey, your next step is to prepare for and then complete a placement test for reading, English composition and math at the Coon Rapids or Cambridge Testing Center.

    Schedule for your Accuplacer, or call to confirm space availability:

    Coon Rapid Testing Center: 763-433-1180
    Cambridge Testing Center: 763-433-1980

    You may be exempt from some or all of your placement test if you meet certain conditions. Previous college coursework, AP/IB, ACT, SAT and/or MCA scores may be reviewed for possible placement test waiver(s).

    See, “Who does not need to take the Accuplacer?” on the Placement Testing page for more information on possible exemptions.


  3. 3. Request Transcripts

    If you have more than 12 college-level credits, arrange to have official transcript from previous institutions, including other Minnesota State institutions, sent to the Records and Registration office. 

    To use your VA educational benefits, you are also required to submit military transcripts from each branch of service in which you have been a member. 

    If you served in the US Army, Army Reserves, Army National Guard, US Navy, Navy Reserve, US Marine Corps, Marine Corps Reserves, US Coast Guard, US Coast Guard Reserves, click here

    If you served in the US Air Force, Air Force Reserves, click here.

  4. 4. Schedule Registration Appointment with Veterans Advisor

    Veterans Center

    Tadd HeichelVeterans Academic Advisor

  5. 5. Confirm Benefits are Ready

    • Bring a copy of your benefit application, DD-214 and certificate of eligibility to the certifying official in the Records Office.
    • GI Bill®: Be sure to turn in a signed copy of your course schedule or email a request for certification to the certifying official.
    • Tuition assistance or reimbursement: Be sure to submit your TA confirmations to the Business Office.
    Need assistance with applying for your benefits?


    Charles Egerstrom, MDVA North Metro Regional Coordinator

Supplementary Information