General or Transfer Student

Secondary Navigation

General or Transfer Student


We’re glad you plan to attend Anoka-Ramsey! Here are the steps to become a student if you have earned your high school diploma or equivalent, attended a previous college/university or have earned college-level credit.

If you are planning on applying for financial aid, make sure to begin that process as well.

Schedule a Remote Appointment

Schedule a remote appointment with an Admissions Advisor:

Cambridge Campus

Coon Rapids Campus

Important Notes

If you have ever been a student with Anoka-Ramsey, you do not need to re-apply. Please follow the Returning Student steps.

Admissions Checklist for General or Transfer Students

  1. Apply to Anoka-Ramsey

    Apply online for admission to the college. There is no cost to apply.

    Be sure to save your StarID and Password where you can find it. You’ll need your StarID and password to access your student email account and other campus information.

    Once you have submitted your application, watch for an email informing you of your enrollment status.


    If you are a current Minnesota State student and only want to take one or two courses with Anoka-Ramsey, follow the Visiting Student: Minnesota State steps.

    If you are a current Minnesota State student and want to transfer to Anoka-Ramsey to earn a degree, use your current StarID and password to log into the application and most of your information will auto-fill.

  2. Request Official Transcripts (if applicable)

    If you have earned college-level credits through AP, IB, PSEO, or another college/university, you need to request an official transcript be sent to Anoka-Ramsey. See below for information on how to send official transcripts to Anoka-Ramsey.


    If you have attended another Minnesota State college or university, the Records Office at Anoka-Ramsey will retrieve your official transcript for you at no cost. You must complete the Minnesota State Transcript Retrieval Form.


    Students with prior coursework at another college, university, or vocational school should submit official transcripts from each institution to the Records Office.

     Have official transcripts sent to:

    Anoka-Ramsey Community College
    Attn: Records
    11200 Mississippi Blvd. NW
    Coon Rapids, MN 55433

    Official transcripts may also be delivered to from educational institutions who use an electronic secure, certified PDF option.


    Students with military credits can get information here: Veterans Services


    Students wishing to transfer credit from a university outside of the U.S.A. to Anoka-Ramsey must have their transcript evaluated by an approved academic credentialing agency. The following companies provide acceptable evaluations for a fee (order a "Course by Course" evaluation and Anoka-Ramsey as a recipient):

    Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE)
    P.O. Box 514070
    Milwaukee, WI 53203
    Phone: 414-289-3400
    Fax: 414-289-3411

    World Educational Services (WES)
    P.O. Box 745, Old Chelsea Station
    New York, NY 10113
    Phone: 1-800-937-3895
    Fax: 212-739-6100

    To learn more about how credits are evaluated, you may read the Minnesota State transfer policy here.

    You may also read the Minnesota State Transfer Rights and Responsibilities policy here.


  3. Transfer Credit Petition Process

    Credits from other institutions are evaluated by the Anoka-Ramsey Records and Registration Office. Credits may transfer in as direct equivalents, general education electives, or general electives. An official transcript must be received by the Records and Registration Office for the evaluation to occur.

    A student has a right to appeal how their transfer credit was evaluated at Anoka-Ramsey.

    A. If a student wishes to appeal a course for direct equivalency or for a course to be placed in a general education MnTC goal area* (goal areas from other Minnstate institutions must transfer into the goal area from the transfer institution) at Anoka-Ramsey, a student should do the following:

    1. Log into their eServices account.

    2. Click on Academic Records, then select Transfer Review.

    3. Ensure all transcripts have been received and evaluated.

    4. Click on Add Request and follow the prompted next steps.

    5. Select the transfer course you wish to appeal and select Reason for Request in the drop-down menu.

    6. Using the space provided, explain in detail the appeal request.

    7. Next, provide documentation such as a syllabus or course outline (course descriptions will not be accepted for evaluating equivalency).

    8. Submit the appeal. Students can use the Check Status feature to track their appeal. The appeal will be reviewed by our Records and Registration Office, and the decision will be entered into the request in eServices in approximately 14 business days.

    A student may re-appeal if their first appeal is denied. This appeal will go to the Academic Dean over the discipline of the degree. Should this appeal be denied, a student can re-appeal once again to the Minnesota State System Office. The appeal and re-appeal process for course equivalency and general education MnTC goal areas can all be conducted using the Transfer Review process in eServices.

    If a student has questions about the transfer credit appeal process, they should contact the or their assigned academic advisor.

    (*Please note Minnesota State policy that when any sending college or university has determined that a course meets MnTC goal area(s) for a student, only the sending college or university goal area(s) must be accepted for the course at every college or university. The receiving college or university shall enter only the goal area(s) determined by the sending college or university in the official repository for course relationships for display in the transfer information system accordingly for that student. System Procedure 3.21.1, Part 6, Subpart H.1.C.)

    B. If a student wishes to appeal a course to meet a program requirement, as opposed to a direct equivalent, the student can appeal using the Academic Standards Petition located at under appeals, petitions and student complaints. The student should work with their assigned academic advisor to file an Academic Standards Petition. Students need to provide reasoning, rationale, and documentation in the Academic Standards Petition process. Once submitted, the Academic Standards Petition will be reviewed by the appropriate dean, and the decision will be emailed to the student within 14 business days. A student may appeal if their petition is denied, this appeal will go to a different Academic Dean for review. Students may submit a final appeal, the final appeal will be reviewed by the Vice President of Academics and Student Services.

    Students who wish to appeal must submit additional information and documentation. Students requesting to appeal denied petitions may email

    Questions regarding ARCC’s Transfer Credit Petition Process should talk to their Academic Advisor or contact us at

  4. Determine Placement

    Valid assessment test scores on the Accuplacer, ACT, SAT, MCA, etc., previous high school GPA and coursework, and previously earned college-level credit can be used to determine a student's placement level in English/Reading/Math. To view your placement level, log into eServices, then select Courses & Registration, and then Course Placement.

    If you do not have a valid placement level/score on file in eServices, please visit for next steps.

  5. Begin Orientation and Registration Process

    Students will not be able to register for courses until they complete Orientation & Registration. Orientation & Registration is an opportunity to learn important information about college policies/procedures and course registration.

    Visit for to get started with Orientation & Registration.

Supplementary Information