To provide personnel data pertinent to the assignment of staff members and to the operation of the college, and to guarantee each individual reasonable confidentiality and due process in matters related to his/her record, Policy 4H.1 is established with the following procedural provisions:
- A single file for each staff member will be maintained in the Human Resources Office. The file shall contain:
- Transcripts - complete, official set of undergraduate and graduate transcripts shall be provided by each member of the unclassified staff. Members of the classified staff may submit transcripts for inclusion in their file.
- Certificates - certification when required for fulfillment of a specific position shall be provided by the staff member appointed to the position. Members holding certification, but assigned to positions not requiring certification may submit certificates for inclusion in their files.
- Initial employment data - resumes, applications and appointment documents leading to initial appointment shall be included. Letters of recommendation and confidential placement papers shall not be retained.
- Employee status documents such as verification of payroll placement and current employee status (civil service classification, unclassified classification) shall be included.
- Performance review data current and the six preceding years’ summaries of performance review and support data for faculty. Current and the three preceding years’ summaries of performance review and support data for classified and unclassified staff/administrators, as provided by the employee’s immediate supervisor shall be included.
- Letters current and the two preceding years' letters and memos of information, commendation and reprimand may be included at the discretion of the staff member or immediate supervisor.
- Copies of all items under 1d, e, and f shall be furnished to staff members concurrent with placement in to or removal from the personnel file.
- An individual staff member may review his/her file in the presence of the Director of Human Resources, the President, or President's designée upon request at a mutually arranged time. Written responses to any entry in the file may be submitted by the individual and shall be included. Only the immediate supervisor, Director of Human Resources, Human Resources staff, and President or President's designée shall have access to the files.
- Administrative records such as leave requests, leave balances, payroll placement requests, payroll reports, etc. shall not be included in the personnel file but shall be kept in the employee's payroll file and shall be available for review upon request and in the presence of the Director of Human Resources, the Personnel Officer, the President or President's designée.
- Obsolete materials, except official Minnesota State documents, shall be destroyed in accordance with Anoka-Ramsey's Records Retention Schedule. Official Minnesota State documents, no longer appropriate to the personnel file, shall be stored in the college archives as required by Minnesota State policy and by State of Minnesota statutes and administrative directives.
- Personnel files will not include medical information. Employee medical information will be maintained in a separate and secure confidential medical file in the Human Resources Office, in accordance with State of Minnesota statutes and administrative directives. Only the immediate supervisor, Director of Human Resources, Human Resources staff, and President or President’s designée shall have access to the files.
11.1975 Adopted and implemented
07.2001 Amended to coincide with contractual language
12.2004 Amended: added Paragraph #6, inserted staff titles, and edited language to comply with contract language
07.2017 Technical changes: "MnSCU" and/or "System" to "Minnesota State"