Display this page in a printer-friendly format  Print


Rights & Responsibilities

All About Financial Matters

All About Financial Matters

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Financial Aid?
It’s financial help for eligible students to pay for educational expenses at an eligible postsecondary school. Financial aid is made available through three basic types of programs: Grants and scholarships, Student Employment, and Education Loans. You may be awarded funds from one or several of the following programs:

What is the difference between a subsidized Direct Loan and an unsubsidized Direct Loan?
No interest is charged on a subsidized Direct loan while you are in school at least half time and during the six month grace period after you cease half time enrollment. On an unsubsidized Direct loan you either pay the interest while you’re in school or you may choose to have it capitalize, which means the interest is accruing and is added to your principal balance. 

What is Work Study? And how can I become a work study student?
Work-study is financial aid in the form of a part-time job (generally 5-15 hours per week during the school year). Students may work on-campus in a department of their choice, subject to job availability. Please check with the financial aid office to determine the current hourly wage. In addition to earning a paycheck every two weeks, work-study allows students to work around their academic schedule and to build a resume and/or establish references.

Eligibility for work-study is granted for students who complete a FAFSA and all necessary file documentation requested by the financial aid office, show need, and indicate an interest in a work-study position.

Do I need to do anything to accept my grant award(s)?
No. These funds will be directly applied to your tuition/fees at ARCC at the beginning of each term, based on your enrollment at that time.

Can I receive Financial Aid for Summer semester?
Summer semester is awarded separately from fall and spring semester. Students interested in summer aid must first make sure they have a FAFSA completed and have registered before an award is determined. Summer semester financial aid eligibility is determined by funds you did not use earlier in the school year.

Can I use financial aid to get my books?
Yes. If your financial aid exceeds your tuition and fee charges, you may go to the Bookstore and charge your books (book charges are allowed one week prior to the semester and the first four days of the term (excluding holidays). However, to avoid long lines, it is recommended that you buy your books on your own prior to the start of the term. Any financial aid that exceeds your tuition and fees will be pay out to you to then help reimburse what you paid for books.

What happens if I need to withdraw from my registered class/es?
Students are expected to complete all of their classes each term. In the event you are unable to complete class/es, you should first check with financial aid to see how this may impact your aid. Never attending a class will have a negative impact on your financial aid. Not completing at least 60% of a semester will also require the Financial Aid Office to recalculate your financial aid to determine how much you have earned of your financial aid and what portion you have not earned.

When will I receive my financial aid?
Financial aid is disbursed no earlier than the tenth day of each semester. After the initial disbursement date, financial aid is disbursed on Wednesdays of each week. Direct deposits are made on Fridays.

Can I pick up my financial aid check?
No. If your financial aid exceeds your tuition and fee charges, the Business Office will mail the difference to your permanent address or deposit it directly into your checking or savings account. Make sure your permanent address is current at all times with the Records Office of Anoka-Ramsey.

Do you have grant assistance to help with child care?
Yes. Students must first complete the FAFSA application and the Post-Secondary Child Care Grant application to determine eligibility. Funds are limited and are awarded on a first come basis. Students must be enrolled in at least half-time (six credits or more) and not receiving public assistance.

Types of Financial Aid

Grants and Scholarships are typically awarded based on financial need.  You don’t have to repay grants or scholarships. The following are grants and scholarships available at Anoka-Ramsey Community College:

Federal Pell Grant (Pell)

The Federal Pell grant awards are based on financial need and are available to students who do not have a bachelor’s degree. Full-time status for the Pell grant is 12 or more credits per term. Students enrolling in 9-11 credits generally receive 75 percent of a full-time award, and those enrolling in 6-8 credits generally receive 50 percent of a full-time award. Students may be eligible to receive federal Pell grant funds at less-than half-time enrollment status. 

Grant Program regulations prohibit a student from receiving a Pell Grant from more than one school at the same time.  

**Based on federal regulations, ARCC policy is that your Federal Pell Grant will be paid to you based on the credits you are enrolled in at the end of the free drop/add period. This is the fifth day of the semester for fall, spring, and summer semester. If you add a class after this date, your Pell Grant will not be increased based on this change in enrollment. 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

These limited funds are awarded to students who have Federal Pell Grant eligibility, low expected family contributions, and a high amount of remaining need after other grants and scholarships are awarded.

Minnesota State Grant

This grant is available to undergraduate Minnesota residents who do not have a first bachelors degree, enroll in at least three credits per term, show financial need, and have attended post-secondary institutions for less than the equivalent of four full years. If you are eligible to receive this grant, your award letter lists your award amount at several different enrollment levels. PLEASE BE AWARE that this grant is not prorated based on enrollment status (i.e., a student with seven credits will not receive half of a 14-credit award).

Minnesota Grant payments cannot be released to a student who is more than 30 days in arrears on child support payments. Grant payments are also withheld from students who are delinquent on SELF loan interest payments.

Minnesota Post-Secondary Child Care Grant

Students who have children 12 years of age or younger may be eligible for child care assistance. Eligible students must be Minnesota residents pursuing their first bachelor’s degree who are not recipients of MFIP/AFDC/TANF. Students who already have attended post-secondary institutions for the equivalent of four full-time years are not eligible. The grant amount is determined by the size and income of the student’s family.  

Additional information and application materials are available online at http://www.anokaramsey.edu/resources/Records.aspx or stop by the Financial Office. Students who are receiving MFIP/AFDC/TANF should contact their county social services office to check if they are eligible for child care assistance through the county.


Minnesota GI Bill Program 

The Minnesota G.I. Bill provides post-secondary educational assistance to eligible Minnesota veterans who served on or after September 11, 2001, eligible non-veterans, or a surviving spouse or child of a veteran. Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $1,000 per semester, and part-time students can receive up to $500 per semester. Additional information and application materials are available in the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

Minnesota Achieve Scholarship

 The Minnesota ACHIEVE Scholarship program awards scholarships to high need first year college students who are Minnesota high school graduates and who successfully completed a series of college preparation courses while in high school.

 The ACHIEVE Scholarship is administered by the Minnesota Office of Higher Education (MOHE). It is not awarded through ARCC’s financial aid office, and it will not be listed on your award letter. For information regarding this program, visit www.getreadyforcollege.org/achieve or call the MOHE at (651) 642-0567.

Minnesota Indian Scholarship

Scholarships are available to eligible Minnesota resident students of ¼ or more Indian ancestry attending eligible accredited institutions in Minnesota. Students are eligible to receive a scholarship for up to five years of study at the undergraduate level. This program is administered by the Minnesota Office of Higher Education.  It is not awarded through ARCC’s financial aid office, and it will not be listed on your award letter. For information regarding this program, visit

www.getreadyforcollege.org – select “Paying” tab  

Anoka-Ramsey Community College Foundation Scholarships

The Foundations on each campus award scholarships to students based on criteria such as, academic success, leadership skills, major field of study or potential for success; financial need may not be a consideration; applications are due April 1st and recipients are notified in May of each year.

Private Scholarships

ARCC provides links to many free scholarship search sites as well as outside scholarship opportunities publicized through the financial aid website at http://www.anokaramsey.edu/en/money/helpPay/Programs.aspx.  

Federal and Minnesota College Work Study Programs

These programs assist you with payment of your educational expenses by providing part-time employment on campus. Student employment funds are paid to the student via direct deposit or check mailed every two weeks following a described schedule. 

**If you were awarded work study on your award letter and wish to accept it, please check read Work-Study: What You Need to Know found on ARCC website http://www.anokaramsey.edu/resources/studentEmploy/workStudy.aspx

Student employment opportunities can be found online at http://www.anokaramsey.edu/FinancialMatters/employment.cfm  


Loans are funds that must be repaid with interest.

Federal Perkins Loan
Loans offered to students, who demonstrate high financial need, enrolled at least half-time (six credits or more).  Funds are very limited. Loans offered to students based on date of financial application received and completed.

Federal Direct Loan

Eligible students borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education at participating schools. Direct Loans include subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans. Repayment of these loans are made to the U.S. Department of Education.  

Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS)

Loans parents can obtain to help pay the cost of education for their dependent undergraduate children.  The maximum amount a parent may borrow is equal to the students cost of attendance minus any other aid the student will receive. 

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Important Reminders:

How to Pay Tuition & Fees

You have made the smart choice by attending Anoka-Ramsey Community College -- the lowest cost institution in the state of Minnesota. 

You will not receive an invoice from the college. Choose the payment option that works best for you:

  • Online  Payment: Log in to your student account to submit your payment online using Visa, MasterCard, Discover or E-Check. 
  • In-Person: The Business Office at the Cambridge Campus and Coon Rapids Campus accepts cash, check, money order, Visa, MasterCard or Discover. 
  • By U.S. Mail: Print your billing statement from your student account, print your Customer ID on your check and mail both to the Business Office at least five business days before the payment deadline.
  • Payment Plan. You may choose to create a "FACTS" payment plan online:
  1. Log in to your student accoun
  2. Select "Bills & Payments" on the left
  3. Select appropriate term
  4. Select "Create a new FACTS payment plan"

Registration Cancellation/Drop for Non-Payment

Don’t lose your classes for Non-payment! Your registration may be canceled if payment requirements have not been met by the published due date see http://www.anokaramsey.edu/Events/ImportantDates.aspx

Students are responsible for paying their full tuition/fees by the established payment deadlines unless one or more of the following is true:

  • You have applied for financial aid and ARCC has received your FAFSA results of the FAFSA from the Central Processing System by the payment deadline. If you have a consortium agreement and are receiving your aid at another school, you will not be deferred (classes held).
  • You are enrolled in the Post Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) program.
  • You are a veteran who has been certified to receive education benefits.
  • You have submitted an approved third-party billing authorization or an official tuition waiver to ARCC Business Office.
  • You have been awarded a scholarship from ARCC Institutional Advancement.
  • You have been approved for a payment plan and have submitted the required down payment of tuition.

Disbursement of Financial Aid

Aid disbursements begins no earlier than the 10th day of each term.  If your financial aid exceeds your tuition and fee charges, the Business Office will mail the difference to your permanent address or deposit it directly into your checking or savings account. Make sure your mailing address is current at all times with the Records Office of ARCC.

  • Your class schedule must be firm and you should not make any changes after the 5th day of the term or you risk aid reductions. If you decide to add a course after the 5th day of term your Pell Grant cannot be adjusted for the increase in credits. If you drop a class and add another class that is the same number of credits after the 5th day of the term, your aid will be negatively affected, as the course add will not be recognized.
  • You may receive financial aid from only one school for the same period of enrollment. 
  • Students must declare an eligible major and degree intent at ARCC to receive financial aid.
  • Annual loan limits are prorated for borrowers who are completing their studies at ARCC in an enrollment period that is shorter than an academic year.

Developmental Credits

Federal regulations limit a student’s eligibility for federal aid to a total of 30 developmental credits (not college level) attempted.  


In order to receive financial aid for a course, you must attend the classes. If you do not ever attend a class or you stop attending during the term, your financial aid may be adjusted. For more information regarding this attendance requirement, contact the Financial Aid Office. 


Students who receive financial aid and then withdraw from ALL of their courses prior to completing 60 percent of the semester are considered to have received unearned financial aid. The College is then required by federal law to perform a refund calculation to determine what portion of the student’s federal aid was earned and what portion the student must repay. After determining the portion of aid that must be returned to the federal aid programs, another calculation is performed to determine if any funds must be returned to Minnesota aid programs, the college or other private sources. You may also be required to repay some of the financial aid funds you received if you receive all non-passing grades for a semester and it is determined that you did not ATTEND classes for at least 60 percent of the semester. Your aid eligibility may also be impacted if you never attend a course for which you registered.  

If you are considering withdrawing from all of your courses and would like to find out how this will impact your financial aid, contact the Financial Aid Office. 


Purchasing Books

To avoid long lines at the bookstore and opportunity for used books, you should plan to purchase your books from your funds two to three weeks prior to the start of the semester.

In the event you are unable to purchase books from your own funds, you may charge books against your financial aid based on the following criteria:

  • Book charges are allowed one week prior to the semester and the first four days of the term (excluding holidays). 
  • Please use the charge process only on an emergency basis. Charge only once per term.
  • Your financial aid must exceed your tuition and fee charges.
  • If you are planning to purchase your books by using excess student loan funds, you must first make sure you accept your loan (follow steps on award letter).
  • Students will be responsible for all book charges regardless of financial aid received. 

Summer Aid

Anoka-Ramsey's Financial Aid Office processes summer aid separately from academic year (fall, spring) aid. Students wishing to apply for summer aid must make sure they complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), submit all requested documents to the Financial Aid Office and register for summer classes before an award letter is calculated.