The Associate of Science (AS) in Computer Networking degree program prepares individuals for entry or advancement in the career field of computer network support and administration and also provides the first two years of a bachelor’s degree related to information technology and network administration. For assistance in program planning, or to explore additional transfer options, students should schedule a time to meet with an academic advisor. This degree may transfer in part or in its entirety to baccalaureate institutions. Students should meet with a representative of the transfer institution when planning their program.
Some students may need preparatory courses in the areas of English, reading, mathematics or reading. Courses numbered below 1000 will not apply toward this degree.
By completing this program, students will achieve the following learning goals:
- Design and develop secure voice, video, and data networks.
- Implement and configure networked devices.
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to administer and monitor networks.
- Exhibit mastery of problem-solving skills to troubleshoot existing and emerging technologies.
- Function as responsible and ethical network administrators for organizations and society.
- A minimum of 60 semester credits in courses numbered 1000 or above.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in courses numbered 1000 or above at ARCC.
- Satisfy residency requirements.
- A minimum grade of C must be earned in all program requirements.
- All program requirements must be completed at ARCC.
- Courses within the 30 credit program requirements must be completed within four years. Student may petition to extend the window beyond the four years.
- Completion of specific degree requirements.
- To receive your diploma, you must apply to graduate.
- The requirements of this program are subject to change without notice.
NOTE: You are encouraged to contact an academic advisor at 763-433-1230 for course planning assistance and information about transfer credit evaluation and transfer options.
CNET 1212 Client Operating Systems 3 CNET 1213 Server Operating Systems 3 CNET 2101 Introduction to Networks (CCNA 1) 3 CNET 2301* Routing and Switching Essentials (CCNA 2) 3 CNET 2303* Scaling Networks (CCNA 3) 3 CNET 2304* Connecting Networks (CCNA 4) 3
BUS 1103 Human Relations in the Workplace 3 Electives: Select a minimum of 9 credits from the following: BUS 1119 Database Management Using Microsoft Access 3 CNET 1100 Introduction to Information Technology 3 CNET 1105 Introduction to Cybersecurity 1 CNET 2110* Principles of IT Security 3 CNET 2114 Fundamentals of Linux/UNIX 3 CNET 2125* System Virtualization 3 CNET 2205 Fundamentals of Wireless LANs 3 CNET 2215* Managing Network Security 3 CNET 2230* Ethical Hacking 3 CNET 2297^ Field Experience & Seminar 1-4 CNET 2320* Unified Communications/VoIP 3 CSCI 1101* Intro to Computer Science & Problem-Solving 3
Complete at least 30 credits in courses from the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC), including all courses listed. You must complete at least one course in six of the ten goals. One course may satisfy more than one goal, but the course credits may be counted only once.
1. Communications ENGL 1120* OR ENGL 1121* 4 CMST 1110 OR CMST 2215 OR CMST 2220 3 2. Critical Thinking 3. Natural Science 4. Mathematical/Logical Reasoning MATH 1200* OR PHIL 1105 3 5. History/Social/Behavioral Sciences ECON 2205 3 6. Humanities/Fine Art 7. Human Diversity 8. Global Perspective 9. Ethical/Civic Responsibility 10. People and the Environment
The sequence that follows is suggested for full-time students. Part-time students will need more time to complete this program; many courses are offered in the evening.
CNET 1212 3 CNET 2113 3 CNET 2101 3 CNET 2301 3 Gen Ed or Electives 8-10 Gen Ed or Electives 8-10 TOTAL 14-16 TOTAL 14-16 SECOND YEAR
CNET 2303 3 CNET 2304 3 CNET 2304 3 Gen Ed or Electives 14-16 BUS 1103 3 Gen Ed or Electives 5-7 TOTAL 14-16 TOTAL 17-19
*Some occupations may require advanced education
- Computer & Information Systems Manager
- Network Administrator
- Wireless Network Specialist
- Computer Support Technician
- Help Desk Specialist
- Network Security Analyst
- Computer Systems Administrator
- Server Support Specialist
Program Requirements 18 Additional Requirements 12 General Education/MnTC 30 Total 60