Traveling By Foot
Walk on well-lit routes during dark hours.
- Have your keys in hand and be ready to open a locked door.
- Call Safety & Security for an escort by contacting Information Desk at extension 1240 Coon Rapids Campus or 1840 Cambridge Campus.
- When possible let someone you know and trust aware of your return time and route.
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- Refrain from taking shortcuts; walk where there is plenty of light and traffic.
Protect Your Automobile
- Always lock your doors and never leave your keys in the vehicle.
- Avoid leaving property in your vehicle where it is visible
- Keep windows up and doors locked
- When getting into a parked vehicle, check your back seat and floors for uninvited passengers
- Park in plain sight as visibility is the key to safety – leave your vehicle in a well lit populated area
- Always take your keys, shut your vehicle off and pocket your keys even if your only leaving your vehicle for a short time
- Don’t hide your keys anywhere within or outside the vehicle – thieves know all the hiding places you do, and probably a few more
Protect Your Property
Secure your keys - Keep personal keys secure at all times.
- Personal property - (purses, laptops, calculators, etc) should never be left unattended. Take such items with you when leaving a classroom or cafeteria.
Secure valuables - Keep valuables in a locked cabinet or drawer. Do not leave book bags unattended; it only takes a few seconds for a theft to take place.
Parking your bike Always lock your bike. There are several good anti-theft devices available. Case hardened heavy locks and chains afford the best protection.
Lock Your Office - Make sure that your office is locked when you leave. Do not rely on anyone else to do it for you.
Report Losses - Report any loss or theft of keys, equipment, or valuables immediately to Safety and Security.