Display this page in a printer-friendly format  Print


Important Dates & Deadlines



Grants are often called "gift aid" because they are free money - financial aid that does not have to be repaid. Almost all federal and state grants are awarded to students with financial need.

Grants can come from the federal government, the state of Minnesota, or private or nonprofit organizations. If you are interested in grants or any student aid you must complete the FAFSA.

Some grant programs will require additional applications. In addition most programs require you maintain satisfactory academic progress

Tuition waivers, regardless of the source, are considered a form of financial aid that may reduce your eligibility for other financial aid. During your search for gift aid don't forget to research the wide array of scholarships available from different agencies, companies, civic organizations and individuals who support higher education.

NOTE: If you are receiving a grant the funds will be directly applied to your tuition/fees at Anoka-Ramsey Community College at the beginning of each term based on your enrollment at that time. Occasionally you might have to pay back part or all of a grant if, for example, you withdraw from school before finishing the semester. 

Federal Grants

*Important note regarding the Pell Grant: You MUST be registered for the courses you intend to complete by the 5th day of each term in order to be eligible for the Pell Grant. Failure to register within the specified time frame will result in ineligibility for that term.           

State Grants

  • Minnesota State Grant Program—Minnesota residency and enrollment of at least three credits per term; FAFSA application must be received by the federal processing center within 30 calendar days of the start of the semester
  • Minnesota GI BIll
  • Minnesota State Post-Secondary Child Care Program - requires Minnesota residency and an additional application. Funds are limited and are awarded on a first come basis. Students must be enrolled in at least half-time (six credits or more) and not receiving public assistance.

*NEW Two Year Occupational Grant Pilot Program

Apply for free college at Anoka Ramsey Community College via the Two-Year Occupational Grant Pilot Program. Get started by reviewing the eligibility requirements and qualifying programs. If you meet all the criteria, apply today! The grant will be awarded on a first-come first-serve basis.

Student eligibility requirements

To qualify for the grant the student must:

  • Be admitted and begin enrollment is a qualifying certificate, diploma, AS or AAS program during the Fall 2016 semester immediately following: High school graduation during the 2015-2016 academic year; or completing an Adult Basic Education program or passing a GED test as a Minnesota resident during the 2015-2016 academic year; or completing a 12 or 24 month AmeriCorps program during the 2015-2016 academic year that started immediately after high school graduation during an earlier academic year.
  • Meet the definition of a Minnesota resident used for state financial aid programs
  • Have an adjusted gross income (or wages for non filers) of $90,000 or less for the 2015 tax year. If applying as a dependent student, parental income is used. If applying as an independent student, the student (and spouse's, if married) income is used.
  • Participate in free mentoring services throughout the student's academic program.
  • Have tuition and fee charges that are not fully covered by Pell Grant and State Grant during fall semester 2016.

Qualifying Programs

Choose from more than 30 qualifying programs including Business, Engineering, Health Sciences, Accounting and more! Click Here for a complete list of programs.

Grant Amount

The grant will cover any remaining tuition and general fee charges after the Federal Pell Grant and Minnesota State Grant have been applied. Program-specific fees and equipment are not covered. The grant is available for up to 72 semester credits, including any required developmental courses taken after admission to the qualifying program. These funds are a form of financial aid and do not need to be paid back. 

How To Apply

Apply Early! Funds are available on a first come basis to qualified applicants. To apply for the initial grant for the 2016-2017 academic year, students must complete the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov, which is available in January 2016. Undocumented students should apply using the 2016-2017 MN Dream Act state financial aid application. Since applicants will be ranked by application date, students are advised to apply as early as possible and respond promptly to any follow-up correspondence from the college.




Financial Aid


Check Your Financial Aid Status