Procedure 4H.2/11 Privacy of Records
Click here for PDF copy.
Release of Personnel Information
Requests for information from outside agencies and individuals concerning Anoka-Ramsey staff should be forwarded to the Human Resources Office. No staff member should release any personnel information over the telephone.
Fees for such requests will be assessed in accordance with the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act (M.S. 13.03).
For requests of 100 or fewer copies the cost is 25 cents for each page (A “page” is defined as one side of a page; a two-sided copy would have a maximum cost of 50 cents.)
For requests for public data that are more than 100 copies, color copies, over-sized copies, or copies in other media such as computer disks, or non-public data–the “actual cost” calculation will continue to be required. This is the actual costs incurred for the copies along with staff time to make the requested copies.
Charging for Copies Under Other Circumstances
Charges for copies of other data must be based on “actual costs,” which may include:
- The “actual” cost of searching for and retrieving the data, including the cost of employee time; and
- The “actual” cost of making certifying, compiling, and electronically transmitting the copies of the data (also including cost of employee time);
But does not include:
- The cost of employee time for separating public from non-public data.
How are “Actual Costs” of Copies Calculated?
The applicable Minnesota Rules state that any copy costs must be “reasonable” and based on actual cost calculations; Commissioner’s opinions have discussed a number of factors that may be used to determine copy costs.
The college may include these costs, so long as they are reasonable:
- The cost of staff time to:
- Retrieve documents
- Sort and label documents if necessary to identify the data to be copied
- Remove staples, paper clips
- Take documents to copier for copying
- Copy documents
- Materials (paper, copier ink, staples, diskettes, mag tapes, video or audio cassettes, etc.)
- Special costs associated with making copies from computerized data such as writing or modifying a computer program to format data
- Mailing costs
- Vehicle costs directly involved in transporting data to the appropriate facility when necessary to provide copies
The college may not include these costs:
- Purchase or maintenance of copier
- Normal operating expenses of computer
- Staff time required to:
- Separate public from non-public data
- Open a data request that was mailed
- Sort, label or review data if not necessary to identify the data to be copied
- Return documents to storage
- Explain the content and meaning of the data to the requester
- Administrative costs not related to copying
- Records storage
- Sales tax
- The entire cost of operating a multi-tasked computer for a measured unit of time, when fulfilling a request for copies was only one of the tasks performed during that unit of time.
12.2007 Revised to reflect Minnesota Data Government Act M.S.13.03
For Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) policies and procedures, go to http://www.mnscu.edu/board/policy/index.html