Procedure 3B.2/11 Undergraduate Credit Transfer
Click here for PDF copy.
Students requiring evaluation of previous earned college-level coursework from another institution who are planning to earn a degree, certificate, or Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) from Anoka-Ramsey must submit official transcripts from each institution to the Records/Registration Office.
For new students, transcripts shall be evaluated after first enrollment. Credits accepted for transfer become part of the student’s permanent record.
General Transfer Guidelines
- The college shall consider for transfer college-level coursework completed at a degree-granting institution or by a comparable international college or university.
- All college courses in which a student has received a grade of A, B, C, D or P shall be considered for transfer evaluation.
- Transferred grades shall not be used in computing the student’s GPA at the college, unless a consortium agreement is in place.
- A 2.0 MnTC GPA is required for recognition of a student’s completion of the entire Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. All MnTC transfer courses shall be used to calculate the MnTC GPA requirement.
- Credits achieved through military training shall be considered for transfer. Students must submit their Military Transcripts for evaluation.
- Competency-Based Education credits shall transfer as general electives unless approved for other distribution requirements.
- Accreditation status of the institution where credits were completed will not be the sole determinant when deciding transferability of courses. Courses will be evaluated for comparability.
- Comparability: Courses approved for transfer must be comparable in nature, content and level and match at least 75% of the content and goals of the college course for which the student is seeking equivalent credit.
- Time Limit: General education and elective credits shall have no transfer time limit. The timeliness of credits applied to career programs shall be considered when evaluating transfer credits.
- Equivalency/Conversion: The number of transfer credits granted per course shall not exceed the number granted by the originating institution. The conversion of quarter hours to semester hours is .66 semester hours for each quarter hour.
- Repeated Courses: Courses transferred in and later successfully completed at the college shall be replaced by the college credits.
- Students who wish to appeal the results of their transfer evaluation must submit the Academic Standards Petition Form, transcript, and applicable course syllabus to Educational Services.
Evaluation of College Credits Toward Degree, Certificate, or MnTC Programs
1. Generally, transfer credits shall be evaluated as:
• Equivalent to a college general education course and MnTC Goal Area
• Not equivalent to a specific college course, but applicable toward an MnTC Goal Area (e.g., Goal 1, Communication or Goal 6, Humanities and Fine Arts)
• Equivalent to a specific course in a career program (within current timeline restrictions, if in a technical program)
• Elective credit that does not apply toward general education or career course requirements (including technical courses more within current timeline restrictions)
2. Students requesting evaluation of courses for transfer to the college may be asked to verify competency through available methods (CLEP, Course Specific Examinations, Credit for Prior Learning process, etc.). Any costs associated with verifying competency are paid by the student.
07.2001 Amended slightly
03.2008 Amended language to reflect the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System’s (MnSCU) and the Higher Learning Commission’s (HLC) requirements for balanced use of accredited status in transfer decisions.
09.2010 Removed “. If a student’s cumulative GPA at the originating institution is less than 2.0, no “D” grades shall be accepted in transfer from that school.” from #2. Removed “Only credits earned at ARCC (not grade point credits or grade points) shall be recorded on the official Anoka-Ramsey transcript.” from #3. Added #4 “A 2.0 MnTC GPA is required for recognition of a student’s completion of the entire Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. All MnTC transfer courses shall be used to calculate the MnTC GPA requirement.”
01.2012 Added #7 Accreditation status of the institution where credits were completed will not be the sole determinant when deciding transferability of courses. Courses will be evaluated for comparability.
For Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) policies and procedures, go to http://www.mnscu.edu/board/policy/index.html