Display this page in a printer-friendly format  Print


Updates and News


A web based timesheet that Anoka Ramsey will be implementing over the summer. 

Expense Reimbursement Regulations

Minnesota Management and Budget (MMB), in compliance with IRS regulations, will enforce a 60-day business expense reimbursement period. This requires employee business expenses to be submitted for reimbursement "within 60 days after the expense is incurred or the trip ends." If not submitted within the 60 days, the reimbursement becomes taxable, to the employee, for federal, state, FICA and Medicare; and withholding tax must be taken.

Meal Reimbursement

For AFSCME/MAPE/MMA the following applies:

"Employees assigned to be in travel status between the employee's temporary or permanent work station and a field assignment shall be reimbursed for the actual cost of meals including a reasonable gratuity..." - Up to the maximum for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Since these contracts do not allow us to waive the requirement for receipts, receipts are required.

For Commissioner's Plan, Administrator's, Managerial Plan, and MSCF Faculty the following applies:

"Upon approval of the Appointing Authority, employees in travel status may be reimbursed for expenses described below in the amounts actually incurred not to exceed any maximum amounts..."

"The Appointing Authority may require receipts for any reimbursement requested by an employee under the provisions of this or any other chapter in this Plan." Therefore, receipts for meal reimbursement are not required.

Travel status is defined by the MMB as being more than 35 miles from your office location or regular place of employment.

IRS Mileage Rate

The standard IRS mileage rate for the business use of an automobile is $.555 cents per mile.

Most bargaining agreements and compensation plans refer to this IRS mileage rate when outlining expense allowances. Be sure to consult bargaining agreements and compensation plans for the difference between:

  • the reimbursement rate when a state-provided vehicle is not available and an employee is required to use his or her own personal automobile. (For employees inside the seven-county metro area traveling more than 75 miles for a trip, the control number procedure must be followed.)
  • the reimbursement rate when a state-provided vehicle is offered, but is declined by the employee.

The two-rate policy is still in effect, even though currently many state offices do not have state provided cars at their disposal for state travel. Agencies that do not have motor pool cars assigned to the agency will reimburse employees at the higher rate, as long as they do not have a state provided car available. The two rates are included in most bargaining agreements and compensation plans.


Karen Northrop, Business Office