Biology Degree & Transfer Pathway
The Biology Transfer Pathway Associate of Science (AS) degree program offers students a powerful option: the opportunity to complete an Associate of Science degree with course credits that directly transfer to designated Biology bachelor’s degree programs at Minnesota State universities. The curriculum has been specifically designed so that students completing this pathway degree and transferring to one of the seven Minnesota State universities enter the university with junior-year status. All courses in the Transfer Pathway associate degree will directly transfer and apply to the designated bachelor’s degree programs in a related field.
Minnesota State Transfer Pathways offer students curriculum that is designed to fully transfer to a parallel program at one of seven universities in the Minnesota State system:
- Bemidji State University: Biology, Bachelor of Arts degree; Biology, Bachelor of Science degree
- Metropolitan State University: Biology, Bachelor of Arts degree
- Minnesota State University, Mankato: Biology, Bachelor of Science degree
- Minnesota State University, Moorhead: Biology, Bachelor of Arts
- Southwest Minnesota State University: Biology, Bachelor of Arts
- St. Cloud State University: Biomedical Science, Bachelor of Science degree
- Winona State University: Biology, Bachelor of Science degree - Allied Health, Cell & Molecular, Ecology, Environmental Science
By completing this program, students will achieve the following learning goals:
- Demonstrate comprehension of biological systems at all levels of biological organization;
- Apply the scientific method within course investigations;
- Communicate biological data, analyses, and interpretations orally and/or in writing; and
- Demonstrate application of critical thinking in classroom, field, and laboratory studies.
- A minimum of 60 semester credits in courses numbered 1000 or above.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in courses numbered 1000 or above at ARCC.
- Some students may need preparatory courses in the areas of English, mathematics or reading. Courses numbered below 1000 will not apply toward this degree.
- Satisfy residency requirements.
- A minimum grade of C must be earned in all program requirements.
- Completion of specific degree requirements.
- To receive your diploma, you must apply to graduate.
- The requirements of this program are subject to change without notice.
BIOL 1106 Principles of Biology I 4 BIOL 1107* Principles of Biology II 4 BIOL 2202* Genetics 4
Complete at least 30 credits in courses from the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC), including all courses listed. You must complete at least one course in six (6) of the 10 goals. One course may satisfy more than one goal, but the course credits may only be counted once.
1. Communication ENGL 1120* OR ENGL 1121* 4 CMST 1110 OR CMST 2215 OR CMST 2220 3 2. Critical Thinking (met by ENGL 1120 OR 1121) 3. Natural Science CHEM 1061* 4 CHEM 1062* 4 4. Mathematical/Logical Reasoning MATH 1200 or higher* 3 - 5 Choose MATH elective (higher than MATH 1200) 4 - 5 5. History/Social/Behavioral Sciences Choose course(s) totaling three (3) credits 3 6. Humanities/Fine Art Choose course(s) totaling three (3) credits 3 7. Human Diversity 8. Global Perspective 9. Ethical/Civic Responsibility 10. People and the Environment
Choose at least 14 credits from Additional Math and Science Electives (Check with receiving institution to determine best elective choices for desired program.): BIOL 1103 Environmental Science Lecture 3 BIOL 1133 Environmental Science Lab 1 BIOL 2201* Microbiology 4 BIOL 2206* Animal Biology 4 BIOL 2207* Plant Biology 4 BIOL 2208* Cell Biology 4 BIOL 2209* General Ecology 4 BIOL 2230*^ Directed Research in Biology 2 CHEM 2061* Organic Chemistry I 5 CHEM 2062* Organic Chemistry II 5 MATH 1114* Introduction to Statistics 4 MATH 1400* Calculus I 5 MATH 1401* Calculus II 5 PHYS 1317* General Physics I 5 PHYS 1318* General Physics II 5 PHYS 1327* College Physics I 6 PHYS 1328* College Physics II 6
Choose one of the Restricted Biology Electives: BIOL 2201* Microbiology 4 BIOL 2208* Cell Biology 4 BIOL 2209* General Ecology 4
The following two-year Pathway Plan is suggested for full-time students. Part-time students will need more time to complete this pathway. For assistance with pathway planning, students should schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. See also the college catalog Appendix for course offering information.
Semester One Semester Two BIOL 1106 4 BIOL 1107* 4 CHEM 1061* 4 CHEM 1062 4 MATH 1200* 3-5 MATH Elective 3-5 Gen. Ed./MnTC 3-4 Gen. Ed./MnTC 3-4 TOTAL 14-15 TOTAL 14-15
Semester Three Semester Four BIOL 2202* 4 Restrictive Biology Elective OR Additional Math/Science
4-6 Restrictive Biology
Elective OR Additional Math/Science
4-6 Additional Math/Science
4-6 Gen. Ed./MnTC 7-8 Gen. Ed./MnTC 7-8 TOTAL 15-16 TOTAL 15-16
*Some occupations may require advanced education
- Animal Scientist
- Food Scientist
- Health Officer
- Marine Biologist
- Medical Doctor
- Molecular Biologist
- Science Illustrator
- Water Quality Technician
- Wildlife Biologist