Theatre Transfer Pathway Degree
The Theatre Transfer Pathway Associate of Fine Arts (AFA) degree program offers students a powerful option: the opportunity to complete an Associate of Fine Arts degree with course credits that directly transfer to designated Theatre bachelor’s degree programs at Minnesota State universities. The curriculum has been specifically designed so that students completing this pathway degree and transferring to one of the six Minnesota State universities enter the university with junior-year status. All courses in the Transfer Pathway associate degree will directly transfer and apply to the designated bachelor’s degree programs in a related field.
- Metropolitan State University: Theatre, Bachelor of Arts degree
- Minnesota State University, Mankato: Theatre, Bachelor of Arts degree; Theatre, Bachelor of Science degree
- Minnesota State University, Moorhead: Theatre, Bachelor of Arts degree
- Southwest Minnesota State University: Theatre, Bachelor of Arts degree
- St. Cloud State University: Theatre, Bachelor of Arts degree
- Winona State University: Theatre, Bachelor of Arts degree
By completing this program, students will achieve the following learning goals:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the mechanics of stage production;
- Demonstrate a required level of proficiency in acting and directing;
- Participate in theatrical productions at varied levels including design, makeup, stagecraft, and production; and
- Demonstrate an understanding of the historical and contemporary
contexts for theatre arts.
- A minimum of 60 semester credits in courses numbered 1000 or above.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in courses numbered 1000 or above at ARCC.
- Some students may need preparatory courses in the areas of English, mathematics or reading. Courses numbered below 1000 will not apply toward this degree.
- Satisfy residency requirements.
- A minimum grade of C must be earned in all program requirements.
- Completion of specific degree requirements.
- To receive your diploma, you must apply to graduate.
- The requirements of this program are subject to change without notice.
Major Specific Courses THTR 1101 Introduction to the Theatre 3 THTR 1109 Practical Experience in Theatre 2 THTR 2230 Survey of Drama 3 Program Specific Courses
Choose one (1) from the following:
THTR 2205 Acting Movement 3 THTR 2211* Stagecraft 3 Program Electives Courses
Choose nine (9) from the following:
THTR 2165 Stage Management (required) 3 THTR 2220** Play Directing 3 Choose one of two courses: THTR 2206 Acting Vocal 3 THTR 2270* Auditioning 3
Choose the following courses from the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) to complete remaining credits:
(two courses required; one from A and one from B)
A. ENGL 1120** OR ENGL 1121** 4 B. CMST 1110 OR CMST 2215 OR CMST 2220 3 2. Critical Thinking (satisfied with THTR 1101) 3. Natural Science (one must include a lab) A. One Physical Science required B. One Biology required (BIOL 1103 recommended) 4. Mathematical/Logical Reasoning (one course required) 5. History/Social/Behavioral Sciences
(two courses required; one from A or C and one from B)
A. Economics/Geography OR C. History/Political Science B. Anthropology/Psychology/Sociology (PSYC 1110 recommended) 6. Humanities/Fine Art
(two courses required; one from A or B and one from C)
A. Literature OR B. Humanities/Philosophy (PHIL 1115 recommended) C. Art/Music/Theatre (satisfied with required THTR 2211) 7. Human Diversity (one course required: PSYC 1110 recommended) 8. Global Perspective (one course required) 9. Ethical/Civic Responsibility (one course required) 10. People and the Environment (one course required: BIOL 1103 recommended)Choose additional seven (7) credits from MnTC (THTR 2210 is recommended as a general elective.)
Classes are scheduled for full-time students to complete in two years; part-time students will need more time.
For assistance with pathway planning, students should schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. See also the college catalog Appendix for course offering information.
*Some occupations may require advanced education
- Acting Coach
- Amusement Park Entertainer
- Art Director
- Booking Manager
- Broadcast Journalist
- Business Manager
- Casting Director
- Costume Designer
- Drama Coach
- Equipment Manager
- Media Planner
- Movie Theatre Manager
- Prop Manager
- Public Relations Specialist
- Stage Manager