This Biomedical Technology certificate program prepares students for entry-level positions in the biomedical device and products industry. Graduates will work in manufacturing, product development and testing. Many of the courses transfer to four-year institutions. Classes include specific biomedical coursework, as well as writing, statistics, and a field experience with a biomedical company. For additional information about our biomedical programs, visit our website at http://www.anokaramsey.edu/BMED.
College-level competence in English, writing, mathematics, and computer competency should be acquired before entering the BMED programs. All BMED program requirements are offered at the Coon Rapids campus.
Some students may need preparatory courses in the areas of English, mathematics or reading. Courses numbered below 1000 will not apply toward this degree.
By completing this program, students will achieve the following learning goals
- Demonstrate an understanding of trends, size, and scope of the medical device industry.
- Demonstrate proficiency in oral and written communication, interpersonal skills, and critical thinking/problem solving.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the processes involved in the design, development and manufacture of medical devices.
- Demonstrate knowledge of various regulations and agencies involved in regulatory processes specific to the medical device industry.
- Demonstrate application of classroom knowledge to industry field experience.
BMED 1100 Introduction to Biomedical Devices and Industry 2 BMED 2100 Design and Manufacturing in the Medical Device Industry 3 BMED 2200 Introduction to Medical Device Regulations and Ethics 3 BMED 2300 Introduction to Quality Assurance 3 BMED 2260 Fundamentals of Dimensional Metrology. 2
BIOL 1102 Medical Terminology 2 BIOL 1104 The Human Body-Structure and Function 4
CMST 1110 OR CMST 2215 OR CMST 2220 3 ENGL 1104 OR ENGL 1120 OR ENGL 1121* 3-4 MATH 1114* 4
- A minimum of 12 semester credits in courses numbered 1000 or above must be completed at ARCC.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in courses numbered 1000 or above at ARCC.
- A minimum grade of C must be earned in all program requirements.
- All program requirements must be completed at ARCC.
- All courses requirements must be complete before a certificate will be awarded.
- Students must complete a Certificate Application. Certificate Applications are available online, in the Office of Records & Registration, and in the Advising Center. Submit a completed form to the Office of Records & Registration.
- The requirements of this program are subject to change without notice.
NOTE: You are encouraged to contact an academic advisor at 763-433-1230 for course planning assistance and information about transfer credit evaluation and transfer options.
The sequence that follows is suggested for full-time students. Part-time students will need more time to complete this program; many courses are offered in the evening.
FIRST YEAR Fall Semester Spring Semester BIOL 1100 2 BIOL 1102 2 BMED 2300 3 BMED 2200 3 BIOL 1104 4 BMED 2600 2 BMED 2100 3 MATH 1114 4 ENGL 1104
3-4 CMST 1110, 2215
3 TOTAL 15-16 TOTAL 14
*Some occupations may require advanced education
- Applications Engineering Technician
- Biomedical Engineering Technician
- Biomedical Equipment Specialist
- Calibration Technician
- Clinical Research Coordinator
- Clinical Research Specialist
- Equipment Maintenance Technician
- Field Service Technician
- Manufacturing Technician
- Medical Device Lab Technician
- Medical Equipment Repairer
- Production Technician
- Quality Assurance Specialist
- Quality Inspector
- Quality Technician
For more information about our program graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit the Gainful Employment Disclosure Report.
Program Requirements 15 Additional Requirements 6 General Education/MnTC 9 Total 30
For continuing education and customized training (non-credit) courses, visit ProWorkTraining.com.